Create Storage Pool
A storage pool is a combination of one or more disks combined together into a flexible abstract layer from which you can provision both storage volumes (LUNs) and network shares. This dialog allows you to choose disks for the Pool only from the selected Storage System.
Navigation: Storage Management --> Storage Pools --> Storage Pool --> Create (toolbar)
Selecting the RAID Type
Storage pools have support for software RAID levels including RAID0, RAID1/10, RAID5/50/Z1, RAID6/60/Z2, and RAIDZ3. QuantaStor storage pools default to using the ZFS filesystem and have the added advantage that you can expand them by adding more storage to them at any time. Note that one cannot shrink storage pools it is important to take care when expanding a given pool.
Storage pools typically are formed from disk drives which are multipath connected to two HBAs on two separate servers so that the pool can be made highly-available. When selecting multiple disks be sure to select disks of the same size. If one combines disks of different sizes it can compromise performance or make it less predictable. If multiple disks of differing sizes are combined together within a VDEV (group of disks) the lowest common denominator is used leaving wasted space. It is also recommended that you use disks all from the same manufacturer rather than mixing drives which may have different performance characteristics.
All Storage Pool encryption uses AES256 bit encryption. Key protection is available via a few different modes with the internally generated passphrase as the default. Key Protection can encrypt without a pass phrase, encrypt with a user defined pass phrase, or Encrypt with Key Vault's Profile Keys.
The "Encrypt with Key Vault Profile Keys" radio selection can only be made once you have registered a key vault.
For additional information see on using IBM Key Protect with Portworx
Tune I/O parameters for the Storage Pool.
- Default -- Optimizes for general purpose server application workloads.
- Default (SSD Optimized) -- Optimizes for pure SSD based storage pools for all workloads.
- Disk Archive -- Optimizes pool IO characteristics for disk-to-disk backup & archive applications.
- Edgeware IP TV Optimized -- Optimizes pool IO characteristics Edgeware IP TV application workflow.
- Edgeware Web TV Optimized -- Optimizes pool IO characteristics Edgeware Web TV application workflow.
- Media Post Production (Ingest Optimized) -- Optimizes pool IO characteristics for media post-production editing.
- Media Post Production (Playback Optimized) -- Optimizes pool IO characteristics for media post-production playback.
- Virtualization -- Optimizes for virtual machine workloads such as database and web servers under ESXi/XenServer/Hyper-V/Virtuozzo
For additional information see Creating Storage Pools