QuantaStor has a number of mechanisms for call-home alerting when systems report hardware or software issues. They include standard mechanisms like email and SNMP but also include various cloud based call-home mechanisms which are "web-hook" based.
The Alert Manager also allows one to specify thresholds for low storage pool capacity remaining. Administrators should take action to expand the available capacity or migrate resources to ensure continuous normal operation of systems whenever a pool reaches 80% full as performance can degrade and an out-of-space condition can lead to downtime for users. For more information on the configuration of PagerDuty and other monitoring mechanisms see the Monitoring and Cloud Metrics Integration guide here.
| The Alert Manager can be used to note and track alerts more easily.
Sender Email Address
- This is the mail address that will be presented in the "From" line of the email. The address should be easily identifiable and unique to the specific Quantastor system so that administrators can quickly note the source of the alert.
Customer Support Email Address
- You can provide an email address or distribution list for appropriate storage administrators who will be monitoring Quantastor. This address will receive all levels of alerts; Informational, Warning and Critical. If you prefer to only receive some alert levels, you can configure alert subscriptions at the User level for user e-mail addresses inside of the User Add or User Modify dialogs
SMTP Mail Server Settings
The settings in this box are required for routing the alerts to the appropriate mail server.
- SMTP Server Address:
- Provide the address for an accessible SMTP relay or mail server.
- Connection Security:
- Choose the appropriate security setting. Options are None, STARTTLS, or SSL/TLS.
- SMTP User/Password:
- Provide a username and password that has access to the provided SMTP server.
Storage Pool - Low Free Space Alerts
Here you can customize the threshold triggers for Storage Pool capacity alerts. Three levels of severity are available.
Generate Test Alert
This button will bring up a new window that can be used to send a test alert. Enter in a sample message and press ok.
Note: you must first save your settings by pressing the OK button on the Alert Manager window before sending a Test Alert.
Navigation: Storage Management --> Storage System --> Storage System --> Alert Manager (toolbar)
Besides access via REST APIs and the scriptable QS CLI, QuantaStor supports traditional protocols like SNMP and cloud services like Librato Metrics and Idera/CopperEgg.
QuantaStor systems report alerts at various severity levels like ERROR and WARNING. For example, when a disk or battery needs to be replaced it will produce WARNING and some ERROR level events from the controller which in turn generate alerts. Alerts are sent via all configured mechanisms so a system with email and PagerDuty configured will see events send to administrators both via email and PagerDuty mechanisms. To generate a test alert one may use the qs alert-raise QS CLI command or use the Generate Test Alert button in the QuantaStor web management interface.